WE SMOG ALL VEHICLES!
STAR DIRECTED SMOG CHECKS
STAR stations are smog check stations that meet higher performance standards established by the Bureau of Automotive Repair. Some STAR stations are licensed to perform only tests, while others are licensed to perform both tests and repairs. SG Smog Check Center in Vallejo, CA is a Test Only station.
ALL DMV REQUIRED SMOG TESTS
SMOG CHECK DIESEL
The diesel smog test will focus on a visual inspection of your vehicle's emissions/smog components, a system check of the On Board Diagnostics (OBD II) system, a visual smoke check for excessive black (carbon) smoke, and an EVAP functional test. Diesel cars and trucks which fail the diesel smog test will have to get their vehicles repaired at a diesel vehicle repair shop before retesting.
SMOG CHECK CERTIFICATION
All of our smog checks come with a certification. Additional charges apply.
GROSS POLLUTER CERTIFICATION
If your car has been labeled as a gross polluter, we can help. Certifications are also provided.
SMOG CHECK FOR OUT OF STATE
If you have any questions or concerns, give us a call at 707-561-0091, email us, or fill out the contact form. Our technicians will be more than happy to help you. We look forward to hearing from you!
NO APPOINTMENTS REQUIRED
CALIFORNIA DMV SMOG REQUIREMENTS
Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles, except: diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, and gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.
Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles 6 or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first 6 registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.
NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident;
- Diesel powered vehicles 1998 model year and newer with a (GVWR) rating of no more than 14,000 lbs, and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The 6 or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.
- Hybrid Vehicles will require a smog certification beginning March 26, 2015.
When you transfer a vehicle that is 4 or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The 4 or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner . When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:
- The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
- A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.
Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?
- Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
- Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs Electric
- Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.